Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Fruit Salad

 I had gone grocery shopping one afternoon and came home to "Mommy, I want to make a fruit salad like this."  
After having just carted in a car load of groceries I can tell you I was less than thrilled that I was the "chosen one" to assist her in making said fruit salad.  But I sucked it in and realized, hey what a great way to kick of "  "Cooking With Emma".  As much as I wanted to stick my nose in and tell her how to do it, I stepped back and allowed her to direct and you know what... it turned out pretty good.

Ingredients:
Fruit:  Cherries (whole), Kiwi, peeled and chopped, apple peeled and sliced, plums chopped, grapes (whole)
Ice Cream
Honey

Directions:

Take a large glass bowl and: place a handful of sliced kiwi, chopped plums and grapes.  Drizzle a small amount of honey over fruit.

Take ice cream, flavour of your choice, we used napolean because that's what we had.  Take several scoops of ice cream and lightly cover the fruit.

Take your apple slices and stick decoratively around the ice cream.  Our pattern represents a castle with the whole cherries representing turrets.  Drizzle more honey over the whole thing, take a minute to ooh and ah and then serve.






See it looks just like a castle... right?  ;)

The great thing about fruit salad, is that you can use whatever ingredients you want.  The sky is the limit.  Instead of ice cream, use whip cream, or dream whip or pudding.  Personally, I think a drizzle of chocolate would have made this absolutely perfect. 

Emma and I would love for you to share your links of great recipes for kids. 

Zeemaid

2 comments:

Blue Cotton Memory on July 30, 2010 at 8:08 PM said...

Years of teaching college students showed me that they do NOT know how to read directions - to literally interpret what they are supposed to do. I came up with activities to solve that problem - but I think your Cooking with Emma project will not only improve Emma's reading skill, but her ability to understand directions will help soooooo much in school. The teacher and the mama in me adore this!

http://bluecottonmemory.wordpress.com

Ashley Marie on February 22, 2011 at 1:57 PM said...

Visiting from SITS. Cute blog you have here, I'm you newest follower :) Love the pink sprinkles!!

 

Cooking with Emma Copyright © 2009 photographer Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template